Thursday, July 10, 2008

Gracefully she approached

Gracefully she approached,
in a dress of bright blue silk;
With an olive branch in her hand,
and many tales of sorrows in her eyes.
Running to her, I greeted her,
and took her hand in mine:
Pulses could still be felt in her veins;
warm was still her body with life.

"But you are dead, mother", I said;
"Oh, many years ago you died!"
Neither of embalmment she smelled,
Nor in a shroud was she wrapped.

I gave a glance at the olive branch;
she held it out to me,
And said with a smile,
"It is the sign of peace; take it."

I took it from her and said,
"Yes, it is the sign of...", when
My voice and peace were broken
by the violent arrival of a horseman.
He carried a dagger under his tunic
with which he shaped the olive branch
Into a rod and looking at it
he said to himself:
"Not too bad a cane
for punishing the sinners!"
A real image of a hellish pain!
Then, to hide the rod,
He opened his saddlebag.
in there, O God!
I saw a dead dove, with a string tied
round its broken neck.

My mother walked away with anger and sorrow;
my eyes followed her;
Like the mourners she wore
a dress of black silk.

- Simin Behbahani –

A Poet Who 'Never Sold Her Pen or Soul'
an article from The Washington Post, 2006

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grande poema, Lu, a pomba enforcada representa todas estas crianças !!

Estive a ler o artigo também, a Simin ainda é viva ?? Tenho de pesquisar ...

Beijos enormes, Miúda !!

7/10/2008 5:10 AM  
Blogger luisa brehm said...

acho que sim, Leo, nasceu em 27 ....

beijokasssssssssssss gigantes

7/12/2008 4:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home