Friday, April 22, 2011

Homage to my uncle Gabriel

Homage to my uncle Gabriel
© luisa brehm

Gabriel Pedro
an exceptional Man of our recent Portuguese history !!!!

Lisbon, April 22, 1898 – Paris, Feb. 29, 1972

my granduncle Gabriel has the most amazing life story someone can tell me, at least in my family ....
communist militant since a very young age, tireless fighter for the workers cause, always in solidarity with his comrades and many more things i will not tell here ....

arrested several times, deported to Tarrafal - Camp of the Slow Death for 10 years (1936/45), he has been terribly tortured at the “frying pan”, in a total of 135 days .... exiled in Paris since 1965 where he passed away.
only and younger brother of grandma Idalina, father of my cousins Edmundo, Germano, João and Gabriela.

Uncle Gabriel never and ever gave up of his ideals !!!!

i’m right here trying to find old memories inside my little treasure box though memories have these kind of things, they can betray us too ....
i guess i never saw you, or, may be once, did i ???
but i recall till today and forever what grandma and mom told me.
grandma was not very talkative, you know that, but her eyes, oh uncle, her eyes, everytime we speaked about you, becomed the deepest ocean of tears silences and cries ....

see, my beloved uncle Gabriel, the path i have chosen is not only destiny .... it’s a blood legacy !!!!
love you !!! very very much !!!
lu

frying pan » a cement isolation cell in which prisoners were placed

to literally bake in the sun on hot cement.
inside it was the Hell.

Jornal «Avante!» - Em Foco - A «Frigideira» matava…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home