Sunday, April 07, 2013

I Belong There

I Belong There

I belong there. I have many memories.
I was born as everyone is born.
I have a mother, a house with many windows, brothers, friends,
and a prison cell with a chilly window!
I have a wave snatched by seagulls, a panorama of my own.
I have a saturated meadow. In the deep horizon of my word,
I have a moon, a bird's sustenance, and an immortal olive tree.
I have lived on the land long before swords turned man
into prey.
I belong there. When heaven mourns for her mother,
I return heaven to her mother.
And I cry so that a returning cloud might carry my tears.
To break the rules, I have learned all the words needed
for a trial by blood.
I have learned and dismantled all the words in order to draw
from them a single word:
Home.

- Mahmoud Darwish -

the Palestinian national Poet
March 13, 1941 - August 9, 2008

Mahmoud Darwish

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home