Monday, February 17, 2014

Kurdistan by Abdulla Goran

Kurdistan:
You are my abode,
my abode of thousands of years,
I have been nurtured by these valleys, summits and hummocks,
My breath is full of the fragrant breeze of your highlands,
My lips are satiated by your snow waters,
My gaze is used to the sight of your silvery twilights
Reflecting on evening snows,
My ears are habituated to the music of your waterfalls
Pouring down from high quarters above snow to green landscapes.
My tongue bloomed with your beautiful speech,
With words of your mountain songs,
The words of folk tales told around fireplaces,
The words of your children‘s lullabies.
When blood stirs in my veins,
It does so under the power of your love, I know.
Your love, my mother and mother of my fellow race
Was bequeathed to me from my ancestors,
And it will be inherited by sons and grandsons,
As long as a Kurd survives in these high mountains.

- Abdulla Goran -
1904 - 1962
Kurdish poet

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home